Monday, August 13, 2012

Following


Over the past 10 years in student ministry I have seen the word "Christian" used to identify so many people that I wonder if people really even know the meaning.  I hear it used as people who go to church are called Christians.  The people who do good things are called Christians.  People who are in a biblical marriage are called Christians. Do people actually know what it truly means to be a Christian?

It's in every human to want to follow someone.  But our culture tells us not to follow anyone but to be ourselves. I have stopped using the word "Christian" so often.  When talking with our students about having a relationship with God I have began using the term being a "follower" of Jesus Christ.  I want our students to understand that when we are a follower of Christ, we are to be different from the world.  God's word tells us in Romans 12:2 not to conform to the pattern of this world.  This is a hard thing for people to do.  We so desperately desire relationships with others that we will just about do whatever it takes to make friends with those people.  Regardless if they are doing things or are apart of things that dishonor our Lord Jesus.  To be a follower of Jesus we mu deny our selfish desires.  OUR way will always get in the way of following Jesus.  Either we deny OUR ways or we deny Christ.  We must make a conscious choice every day to surrender OUR wants and OUR desires over to our guide and our Savior.  We let our Lord Jesus take control of the wheel and let him guide use through each day.
What do you want me to wear this morning Lord?
What food should I eat to make me healthy today?
Father, who should I sit by this morning?
What do you want me to say to him/her?
Should I do this or should I do that?

We ALWAYS need to be in communication with our Father.  I have heard many people say, "Pray without ceasing and you'll never cease to pray."  I love this because it is so true of our life with Christ.  If we are in constant communication with Him, we will not step out of that communication line.

So today...I make a choice to do my best to following my Lord and my Savior.  I am following!

No comments:

Post a Comment